Re: New Soundscapes

Subject: Re: New Soundscapes
From: "Mark Brennan"
Date: Mon Jan 9, 2012 3:37 pm ((PST))
Bernie thats incredible that you worked with her, she is a legend and
pioneer recordist in these parts. For those who dont know of her she used
to take her recording equipment around the province and record pretty much
anything she could. Singing, folk songs, stories, people reading letters
etc, Here is a link to a recording from 1928.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/virtual/creighton/exhibit.asp?ID=3D30

And just for fun some of the folk stories she captured set to film in 1975

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DYluRwXqxdNw&lr=3D1

A little bit about her from the Nova Scotia Archives,

Helen Creighton (1899-1989) is remembered as one of Canada's best-known
folklorists =97 a pioneer researcher, collector and author whose career
spanned sixty years, and whose reputation in the field is international.
The prolific results of that career =97 photographs, sound recordings,
textual records and moving images =97 are fully displayed in Dr. Creighton'=
personal papers, which form the largest private-sector fonds within NSARM
holdings, and which constitute one of Nova Scotia's most significant
cultural heritage resources.

I can imagine your gear Bernie. I used to use 1940's radio equipment when I
first joined the Navy in 1984. Huge valve sets that took ages to warm up
and tune.

 You can still find those quiet places here, especially in Cape Breton and
down the southern part of the province, but if you ever take a boat to
Newfoundland, in places - its like stepping back in time.

I imagine there's a book in there somewhere for you Bernie!

Mark

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Bernie Krause <>wrot=
e: