Re: digital playback solutions

Subject: Re: digital playback solutions
From: "John" naturalcontemplative
Date: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:34 am ((PST))
After thinking about this a bit, I agree with Scott Fraser that the
Macbook/Interface option may be the best option, but it is also beyond my
budget right now. Also, I am thinking about upgrading from my trusty MZRH1 to a
flash media portable recorder.

I realized the MZRH1 minidisc recroder has toslink input, but only analog
output. And I have given up on the idea of a dock for the iPod since I don't
like the iPod navigation anyway.

So..

Is there any difference in the quality of the built-in Digital/Analog
Converters on the portable recorders (PCM-M10 etc) that would make one more
suitable than the others for high quality playback?

Same question regarding field recorders that have xlr and phantom power inputs
(Fostex FR-2LE etc). How are the DACs on those units and useability as a
playback device? (I'm borrowing a Marantz PMD670 to see how it serves as a
player. I already know I don't care for it as a recorder).

I'll be looking into which of the above have s/pdif output for use with an
external DAC (like the MOTUs or Focusrites), but if anyone has knowledge of
this, I'm much obliged.

Finally, is there a standalone playback unit that would be more cost effective
than any of the above? I've been looking at the Denon DN-F400, but it seems not
to be so useful without the remote control unit, and that makes it cost
prohibitive.

In the end, a recorder with great preamps and very good DACs on board would
fill two needs at once and therefore be a best solution for me, I think.

Many thanks for your input!

John