Re: Newbie's Guide to Post Processing.....

Subject: Re: Newbie's Guide to Post Processing.....
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:26 am ((PST))
> I imagine there are many different approaches depending on what
> tools are available and what one is trying to achieve

Mark,

I am currently writing a "blog" guide to field recording in stereo but
it needs serious subediting so far and addition of many topics. What
I'm working on at the moment is what stereo is and the various means
of producing the stereo illusion with sound illustrations. For
instance I demonstrate how we can hear a L-R time difference of only 5
digital samples. Many stereo rigs combine amplitude stereo with time
difference stereo, but amplitude stereo is the main commercial method
of producing a stereo image.

> 1) When it comes to removal of unwanted sounds, adding gain,
> equalizing, noise removal etc - In which order do you do them and
> why?

Like all recording topics, you will get many differnet answers to
these questions, but the proof of the pudding in in the hearing. I use
Audacity 1.3 for noise reduction (called removal). The object here is
to identify the unwanted sounds or sound sperctrum and reduce that
moderately (6 to 9dB). The downside is that low and medium
frerquencies generate audible artifacts (burbling).

The answer to that is to only reduce the mid and high frequency noise
and Audacity uses the frequency profile of a second or two of the
quietist part of the recording. The artifacts then tend to get lost in
the background ambinee. The clever bit ia that you don't need to use a
bass filter on the whole recording - just the sample. However, if you
are going to use a bass cut for traffic or aircraft noise well below,
say birdsong calls, it is best to do this first. With digital, if you
change your mind, you can put the bass back in again later.

I've just put some Audacity equalization scripts on:
http://www.stowford.org/recordings.htm#curves

2) If I wanted to copy a specific sound from one recording and add it
to another - how could I blend it effectively?

In a multi-track sound editor, lay the tracks parallel with an overlap
and cross-mix. I use the Audacity time shift and cross-fade functions.

3) Regarding mastering a CD, does one need a dedicated program or
could I use my existing software ( Izotope RX2, Audacity and Ableton
Live 8 Lite) ?

There are difference between CD burners, so try them out and se which
suits you. They should all produce a playable CD. Sorry I'm copping
out on this one. :-)

>I have uploaded an unedited 2 minute sample recording from Kubah
>National Park, Sarawak, Borneo -
>
>http://soundcloud.com/marcanderson/kubah-national-park-sarawak

I'll have a go at that tomorrow.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce