Re: Newbie's Guide to Post Processing.....

Subject: Re: Newbie's Guide to Post Processing.....
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:54 am ((PST))
<<1) When it comes to removal of unwanted sounds, adding gain, equalizing,
noise removal etc - In which order do you do them and why?>>

Do your noise reduction first because the loss of unwanted noise frequencies &
peaks will inform your perception of overall loudness of the file. EQ, then set
your desired level.

<<2) If I wanted to copy a specific sound from one recording and add it to
another - how could I blend it effectively?>>

It very much depends on the nature of the source, but in general you'll want to
have long crossfades to feather the transitional seams over time. Depending on
how similar or different the sources are this could be between a few
milliseconds (say for well matched rain ambience,) to several minutes in the
case of massively divergent soundscapes.

<<3) Regarding mastering a CD, does one need a dedicated program or could I use
my existing software ( Izotope RX2, Audacity and Ableton Live 8 Lite) ?>>

I don't know Audacity & my familiarity with Live is limited to its playback
functions. RX2 does not have CD burning ability. You will need something like
Toast or Peak to do the actual Redbook burn on a Mac or something like Wavelab
for a PC. These give you control over the gap between tracks, gain of each
track, crossfading if you want tracks to overlap & metadata such as adding ISRC
numbers.

Scott Fraser