Re: Newbie's Guide to Post Processing.....

Subject: Re: Newbie's Guide to Post Processing.....
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:32 am ((PST))
On Nov 23, 2011, at 3:09 AM, mrmarcanderson wrote:

> I have recently been recording a lot of soundscapes with my 2 x AT4022's,=
 Fostex FR2-LE and parallel boundary array, and I think I'm finally making =
some progress. I'm now ready to start processing some files and would appre=
ciate if some could share their advice/experience on the best way to approa=
ch it. I have been reading through the forums and it has been very helpful =
- but I thought it might be good for other newbies like myself to see a sim=
plified outline of a typical post-processing workflow.

> I imagine there are many different approaches depending on what tools are=
 available and what one is trying to achieve - in my case I have Izotope RX=
2, Audacity and Live 8, decent studio monitors/headphones - and I would lik=
e to produce a CD or digital download album of natural soundscapes, with a =
number of tracks seamlessly blending into one another.

> 1) When it comes to removal of unwanted sounds, adding gain, equalizing, =
noise removal etc - In which order do you do them and why?

> 2) If I wanted to copy a specific sound from one recording and add it to =
another - how could I blend it effectively?

> 3) Regarding mastering a CD, does one need a dedicated program or could I=
 use my existing software ( Izotope RX2, Audacity and Ableton Live 8 Lite) =
?

Dear Marc,

The Nature Sounds Society is contemplating holding a post-production worksh=
op in San Francisco February 3-5, 2012. We would be covering all of your qu=
estions above.

-Dan