Re: digital playback solutions

Subject: Re: digital playback solutions
From: "John" naturalcontemplative
Date: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:18 am ((PST))
I just played a couple of .wav files through my PA system using all of the =
devices I have on hand: MZRH1 minidisc, Zoom H2, iPod touch, and my powerbo=
ok with an external sound card (nothing fancy, just an old Xitel AN1 usb in=
terface). The Powerbook/interface option sounds much better than any of the=
 others. Clearer overall, especially more detail in the low frequencies. Al=
l three portable devices sound pretty muddy to me, the H2 worst of all.

So, does anyone know of a playback device that would be comparable in quali=
ty to the Powerbook/Interface combination but more portable than a laptop a=
nd perhaps more durable?

John

--- In  "John" <> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am looking for the best solution (although price is a factor) to high q=
uality playback in a concert setting (we use nature sounds along with compo=
sitions for harp and cello) and educational setting (I present on marine co=
nservation and cetacean communication). I have been using Quicktime on a Ma=
c Powerbook for many years with an external USB audio interface (which deli=
vers better quality than the headphone jack on the Powerbook). This works f=
ine, but since all I am doing is playing back audio files, I would rather n=
ot have to drag my computer to every gig.

> I have tried using the iPod touch, but have not been impressed with the s=
ound quality coming out of that into a PA system. We are talking about whal=
es here. Low frequencies need to be well reproduced. I also find navigating=
 the iPod touch frustrating when on stage.

> Do any of you know of a compact, well-designed, high quality digital audi=
o player that can play uncompressed WAV or AIF files? Well designed means b=
eing able to easily arrange, rearrange and access the tunes on the player, =
and play one at a time (the iPod plays in sequence without stopping. I can'=
t stop the player while I'm playing the cello!).

> How do the digital recorders (PCM-M10, MZRH1, LS-7, H2, etc etc) compare =
in terms of their digital to analog playback qualities? Is one of them more=
 suitable than others for playback (I have an H2 and an MZRH1).

> What are others using for best quality performance of nature sounds?
>
> I will be comparing everything I have through our sound system, but wonde=
red what you all would have to say.

> Many thanks!
>
> John
>
> Let us live in harmony with the Earth