Re: digital playback solutions

Subject: Re: digital playback solutions
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:00 am ((PST))
<<So, does anyone know of a playback device that would be comparable in qua=
lity to the Powerbook/Interface combination but more portable than a laptop=
 and perhaps more durable?>>

I've been mixing concert sound for the Kronos Quartet for 20 some years now=
 & we have been on a perpetual search for optimal playback throughout that =
period. We have gone through DAT, CDR & MiniDisc, & have arrived at Abelton=
 Live on a PowerBook feeding a MOTU Ultralite interface. With heavy traveli=
ng we managed to break every DAT & MD player we carried. The PowerBook trav=
els in the same gear cases as the others but has never once had a physical =
integrity issue. The manageability of the playlist within Live has worked v=
ery well with a changing set list for every concert, & we can run multiple =
stems, as well as offset (non-synchonized) cues, not to mention sending MID=
I program change data. I really think a laptop currently is a better choice=
 for fully flexible playback than a hardware only device which is not optim=
ized for live playlist functionality. Perhaps the smallest AirBook, with it=
s SSD, might be less fiddly for onstage use. When I've needed a singular ob=
ject package I velcro-ed a PowerBook to the top of a MOTU Traveler, which h=
as the same footprint as the PB. That might work for you.

Scott Fraser