Re: digital playback solutions

Subject: Re: digital playback solutions
From: "John" naturalcontemplative
Date: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:04 am ((PST))
This is true. I've done it in a pinch but I find it quite cumbersome to
navigate back to the playlists on an iPod Touch. I often don't hit the little
arrow squarely and end up fussing while the audience waits. That method is
easier to manage in iTunes.

I had good luck with the borrowed Marantz PMD670. It can play tracks
non-continuously and in sequence with nothing more than a touch of the play
button, and the DACs appear to be good. That makes me wonder whether the 671
would be a useful machine for both recording and playback (I believe the 671
has quieter preamps than the 670?).

I still wonder what the DACs are like in the PCM-M10. It also is capable of
non-continuous playback.

In conclusion (I spent way too much of my Thanksgiving break running
comparisons), I think your original recommendation is the best way to go
(laptop + interface), but the Marantz PMDs and the Sony PCM-M10 might also work
well. Unfortunately the Fostex does not seem to allow non-continuous playback,
and neither does my MZRH1.

I guess that's probably the end of this thread unless someone can comment on
the PCM-M10 onboard DACs.

John

--- In  Scott Fraser <> wrote:

> <<And I have given up on the idea of a dock for the iPod since I don't like
> the iPod navigation anyway. >>
>
> The main functional problem (sound quality aside) with the iPod is that it
> continues to play through all files once started. However, if you place just
> one file in a playlist, does it play only that playlist & then stop at the
> end? If so, you could place each composition in its own playlist, provided
> there's intelligent ordering of playlists available. Feasible, at least as a
> stopgap until something better comes along?
>
> Scott Fraser

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: