Re: 5.1 Sound levels

Subject: Re: 5.1 Sound levels
From: "Hector Centeno" hmcenteno
Date: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:54 am ((PST))
I came across the same questions not long ago that I had to mix a 5.1 sound
design for a film. I first calibrated my system using the -20dBFS = 85dB
SPL standard that Mike mentions and my first mix was too quiet. It seems
that such standard wokrs for a large mixing studio and not for a smaller
project studio like mine. In a small studio, the 85dB feel too loud so you
end up mixing too low. At the end I got some reference files (5.1 mix from
another movie) and perceptually calibrated my system so it sounded
comfortable. I measured that and got something like 74dB. This worked much
better in the theatre. Later, reading some discussions on the topic at the
Gearslutz forums, I found that indeed 72 to 75 dB works better than 85 for
small studios.

Cheers,

Hector

On Wednesday, November 16, 2011, Mike Rooke <> wrote:

> I recently faced this problem exporting a title sequence for playback in
a cinema and basically winged it...

http://www.tonmeister.ca/main/textbook/intro_to_sound_recordingch11.html#x42-77700010.2

wrote:

>> Hello to all
>>
>> My new video editing software is able to record in 5.1 sound format (DD)
and I was wondering if there is any 'best guide' as to sound levels for the
finished production.

>> As an example, if I record say the narration track at about 0dB (5 PPM)
should the front L&R be the same or lower say -4dB (4 PPM) and what of the
surround levels -4dB (4 PPM) again? (all in UK scale)