Re: Sony PCM-M10 windscreens

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-M10 windscreens
From: "johndusek3" johndusek3
Date: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:34 am ((PDT))
I have the Sony ($50) branded wind cover for the M10 and it works for quick=
 casual recording in light breezes, but fails in anything stronger.

1st - Does anyone know where to purchase the really long fur like that used=
 in the really furry Dead Kittens?  I havehsopped the fabric stores (JoAnn =
etc) and have only found medium length or really thin spaced longer fur.

2nd - I am constructing my own windsscreen and have some medium length fur =
that still fails in the gusty wind we get here in TX, I read below about us=
ing foam inside the fur and leaving an air gap between the fur/foam and the=
 mic, how much air gap is optimal?

3rd - is open-cell speaker foam acceptible to use for the foam behind the f=
ur?  I have seen 3/4 and 1 inch speaker foam and was wondering if that woul=
d be workable.

Thanks.....

--- In  Peter Shute <> wrote:

> Thanks, is that this one:
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/470272-REG/Rode_DEAD_KITTEN_Dead_Ki=
tten_WindMuff_for.html

> Is there only one size of "Dead Kitten"? How much of the display does it =
cover, and is the machine very usable like that?

> And what exactly do you mean by "interesting wind handling characteristic=
s"?

> Peter Shute

 On Behalf Of nikolas.valsamakis

oups.com>, "Eric" <eric@> wrote:

> > The windscreen from my AT-822 works well against the wind, though it do=
es cover the display of my PCM-M10, it stays on well.