Re: Sony PCM-M10 windscreens

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-M10 windscreens
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:19 am ((PDT))
> 2nd - I am constructing my own windsscreen and have some medium
> length fur that still fails in the gusty wind we get here in TX, I
> read below about using foam inside the fur and leaving an air gap
> between the fur/foam and the mic, how much air gap is optimal?

John,

For a start, the best commercial windgags will not cope with strong
gusts. The length of fur is not crucual as all it does is to round off
the exterior profile a bit more. Even with false fur, corners should
be avoided and if you want really good wind protection go for blimp
and curve diameters of 6 inches or more. A foot in diameter would be
even better. :-)

Foam under the fur helps round off the profile, but anything over a
wavelength (34mm at 10 KHz) thick can start affecting HF. If the fur
is too open weave, use a thin nylon layer under the fur. It should be
fine enough to give some resistance to blowing through. Test the cloth
by putting it over your head and listening for muffling.

As in another mail don't ignore the wind eddies around the mount or
your hand or your body and round them off as well.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce