Re: Sony PCM-M10 windscreens

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-M10 windscreens
From: "John Brenneman" jbird1946
Date: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:19 am ((PDT))
Hi John,

Sorry , I don't have photos but what I'd suggest is to make a mock-up with =
some heavy paper that when folded and taped will fit over your sony without=
 blocking the screen too much or your record level control but still gives =
enough air space.  Granted the Sony is very compact without any wasted spac=
e.  Once the dimensions seem OK you can unfold your mock-up and use it as a=
 cut and fold pattern for the hardware cloth.  Probably a finer mesh would =
work better for your smaller recorder.  Rather than try to sew a fur cover =
to fit over I used spray contact adhesive to glue the fur on.  The adhesive=
 felt with peel off backing is amazingly versatile and holds things togethe=
r really well.My cover just looks like a box with a slot the size of the mi=
c end of the recorder cut out of one side .  The felt is applied around the=
 edges of this slot to act as lips to seal things up and hold it on with a =
springy tension.  Right about now you're probably thinking the Sony windscr=
een ain't such a bad choice.

Good luck, John

On Jun 11, 2011, at 4:28 PM, johndusek3 wrote:

> Hi John -
>
> Would you have a picture of the windscreen structure you built from the w=
ire screen material (called "hardware cloth" in this part of the world)?

> It might inspire some ideas :-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> --- In  John Brenneman <> w=
rote:

> > I'll wade in here as I've dealt with wind noise myself with my Marantz =
PMD661. The windscreens mentioned are not very effective and yes they fall =
off. To really handle wind noise there needs to be a cushion of still air s=
urrounding the mic capsules and from experience it needs to be an inch or s=
o in all directions. Some use a foam cover and then fake fur over this. My =
experience is that this is not enough in a moderate to strong wind because =
the fur touches the foam which touches the mic. I crafted a box out of wire=
 screen material available at hardware stores that has 1/2" grid and is sti=
ff. I cut and bent it into a box,covered it with fake fur and lined the edg=
es with adhesive felt to prevent scratching my recorder. This setup records=
 in strong wind and never clips. It's all on the principal of the Blimp for=
 shotgun mics. Hope you are handy with tools and if so you will prevail. I =
guess that's more than 2 cents worth.

> > John Brenneman

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional