Re: Sony PCM-M10 windscreens

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-M10 windscreens
From: "E.K." lerake
Date: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:10 am ((PDT))
I haven't tested how much better the wind protection may or may not be with=
 the Rycote, but at work I supply these M10 recorders to students as basic =
recording kits (some with DSM mics from Sonic Studios) and I first bought t=
he Rycote ones on spec, but indeed they do fall right off the M10, and I tr=
ied several.  And they don't even seem to fully cover the mics; there seems=
 to be a bit of a gap on the sides since they fit so loosely.  You just hav=
e to give it a little shake for it to come off, and forget about it staying=
 on in a bag. Surprising because obviously Rycote makes good stuff, and I d=
o like their windscreen for my D50 (though it's not perfect either).  The S=
ony windscreen fits the M10 very securely, and stays on.  I returned the Ry=
cote screens and bought Sonys, and they're working great.  Very clear choic=
e he in my view.

--- In  Peter Shute <> wrote:

> I'm considering getting one of these recorders. I assume it'll need a win=
dscreen, and according to the manual, it doesn't come with one. I also assu=
me that a furry one is better than foam.

> On the B&H website, I see a Sony one and a Rycote one. They claim 20dB wi=
nd noise reduction for the Sony, and 30-40dB for the Rycote. Can I believe =
these figures?

> For the Rycote, they say "Fits over existing windscreen". What existing w=
indscreen? Is this perhaps just an error, transcribed from the notes for an=
other recorder's windscreen?

> In the single customer review for each type, for the Sony the customer re=
commends not bothering with a windscreen. For the Rycote, the customer says=
 it's good, but falls off.