Re: Sony PCM-M10 windscreens

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-M10 windscreens
From: "Jeremiah Moore" jeremiahmoore99
Date: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:39 pm ((PDT))
I have a PCM-M10.

I chose the Sony windscreen, because a few reports said it fit slightly
better.  i.e. you can still read the display, and it covers the mics.  In
use I find it fits very well, and is easy to use.

Never used or seen in person the rycote.

In fact, you might search the naturerecordists archive... I think there was
an answer right on this forum.

Also: the Sony windscreen is good for, in my opinion, maybe 5mph breeze.  I=
Rycote is more effective, it won't be MUCH more because they share the same
basic design.  To work better, there has to be dead air between the mic and
the fur.

-jeremiah

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Peter Shute <> wrote:

> I'm reluctant to pay $50 for something that doesn't work very well, and I
> have a roll of that wire in the garage. I had considered making my own, b=
ut
> assumed that the fur on the commercial ones was "special" in some way.
>
> Peter Shute
>

> --------------------------
> Sent using BlackBerry
>
> ________________________________
> Sent: Sat Jun 11 04:54:28 2011
> Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: Sony PCM-M10 windscreens
>

> I'll wade in here as I've dealt with wind noise myself with my Marantz
> PMD661. The windscreens mentioned are not very effective and yes they fal=
> off. To really handle wind noise there needs to be a cushion of still air
> surrounding the mic capsules and from experience it needs to be an inch o=
> so in all directions. Some use a foam cover and then fake fur over this. =
My
> experience is that this is not enough in a moderate to strong wind becaus=
> the fur touches the foam which touches the mic. I crafted a box out of wi=
re
> screen material available at hardware stores that has 1/2" grid and is
> stiff. I cut and bent it into a box,covered it with fake fur and lined th=
> edges with adhesive felt to prevent scratching my recorder. This setup
> records in strong wind and never clips. It's all on the principal of the
> Blimp for shotgun mics. Hope you are handy with tools and if so you will
> prevail. I guess that's more than 2 cents worth.
>
> John Brenneman

jeremiah moore | SOUND |
http://www.jeremiahmoore.com/