Re: parabolic mics + recorder noise

Subject: Re: parabolic mics + recorder noise
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Thu Jun 9, 2011 12:20 pm ((PDT))
> Question: Why does the LS-11 perform the lowest noise level at the
> "low" setting?? Or doesn=B4t it?
>
> With the Clip-On's I can record either at "high" and "2- 2,5" on the
> wheel or "low" and "10" on the wheel. Both settings give about the
> same margin to unexpected sounds.
> Which is the best recommendation that I can give customers and why?
> High or low? How big is the noise difference?

With my LS-10, I discovered that even though I got a lower recorded level t=
han I wanted with LOW and 10, when that signal was digitally raised in post=
 it was still quieter than HIGH and a lower setting producing the same modu=
lation.

BTW I just had my first overload with Clip-Ons and LS-10 on LOW & 10; a tre=
e frog about five feet from the mic at 49 Palms Oasis in Joshua Tree Nation=
al Park. I had to back down to LOW and 6.5.

-Dan