Re: parabolic mics + recorder noise

Subject: Re: parabolic mics + recorder noise
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Thu Jun 9, 2011 2:27 pm ((PDT))
A single (of those omni's) at 94dB on the LS10 at Low gain will start to cl=
ip just
above level 8, 7 is -5dB FS (on the display) and level 4 around -13dBFS.
Message: 6.
Subject: 5 would be around -6dB FS or (94+6) close to 100 dB peak.
Sony D50 gain 3, is around -15 dB FS which is good for most situations
Korg MR1 needs -18dB of gain dialed in for -12dB FS. Zoom H2-Mid is
also around -12 dB FS.
All re 94 dB signal. Meaning in 94 dB SPL the LS10 set to Low level 4 will
display -13dBFS. or the Zoom H2 will display -12 dB FS for the same input.=

Confused? I am.

-Mike.

--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:

> > Question: Why does the LS-11 perform the lowest noise level at the
> > "low" setting?? Or doesn=B4t it?
> >
> > With the Clip-On's I can record either at "high" and "2- 2,5" on the
> > wheel or "low" and "10" on the wheel. Both settings give about the
> > same margin to unexpected sounds.
> > Which is the best recommendation that I can give customers and why?
> > High or low? How big is the noise difference?
>
> With my LS-10, I discovered that even though I got a lower recorded level=
 than I wanted with LOW and 10, when that signal was digitally raised in po=
st it was still quieter than HIGH and a lower setting producing the same mo=
dulation.

> BTW I just had my first overload with Clip-Ons and LS-10 on LOW & 10; a t=
ree frog about five feet from the mic at 49 Palms Oasis in Joshua Tree Nati=
onal Park. I had to back down to LOW and 6.5.

> -Dan

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: