Re: parabolic mics + recorder noise

Subject: Re: parabolic mics + recorder noise
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Sat Jun 4, 2011 2:29 pm ((PDT))
> > Which means: IF you connect a modern microphone to a modern
> > recorder,
> > this microphone will provide such a powerful output signal, that it
> > is the microphone noise that will be disturbing.
>
> Yes, agreed, and that is why I use MKH series mics. The 416 had a spec
> of 21dB excess noise over thermal noise weighted CCIR 468-3. This is
> the noise you can hear but you can't compare this in any way with
> different noise quotes and different weightings, especially ones
> measured with the capsule disconnected. In fact the only noise figure
> which counts is the one measured by your ears in your typical
> environment. The 21dB '468 weighted' mic I quoted is one of the
> quietist that you will find.

Hi Klas and David,

While I agree that the recorder preamp noise issue is often overestimated, =
I'm however afraid that it can still be an issue even with current micropho=
nes in combination some of the most recent recorders.

The Sennheiser MKH60 (40mV/Pa, 8dB(A), 18 dB(CCIR 468-3), noise voltage: -1=
12dBu) would for instance require a preamp noise voltage below at least -11=
8 or even -121dBu. So, the TASCAM DR-100 (-113dBu) for instance would unfor=
tunately introduce additional noise in a quiet environment. Other microphon=
es such as the Sennheiser K6/ME66 (-108dBu) or the discontinued MKH816 (-10=
6dBu) are less demanding in this regard.

Regards,
Raimund