Re: parabolic mics + recorder noise

Subject: Re: parabolic mics + recorder noise
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Fri Jun 3, 2011 11:08 am ((PDT))

>The parabola is no solution to off-axis sounds and it has a very wonky
>frequency response as well. The best you can get for rejection is the
>?Sennheiser MKH-816 which beats everything but is large and heavy and
>costs more than twice the MKH-418 unless you go for the near
>equivalent on eBay - the MKH-815. I use a pair of 816's for distant
>stereo.
>
>David

Hello everybody!

That is not right. Above the frequency when the dish starts to
amplifies, it gets more and more directional.
And it has not a "wonky" frequency response, but a frequency response
of a parabol, which is a very good freq. response for certain purposes.

See http://www.telinga.com/attach.htm

I also read, on and on, the advice to get a Sony machine in favor of
Olympus and Zoom if one wants to keep the noise down.

I think it is time to refresh the reasoning about recorder self
noise, mic self noise and mic output voltage.

To simplify the description of these relationships, let me make a
statement: There is not ONE modern (naturesound) microphone sold
today, which has so low output signal, that it is the recorder noise
that gets disturbing.

Which means: IF you connect a modern microphone to a modern recorder,
this microphone will provide such a powerful output signal, that it
is the microphone noise that will be disturbing.

Which means: Using the modern microphones sold today, one can ignore
the specs of recorder input noise.

Rob?? Raimund? Others? Please help explain.

Klas