Re: parabolic mics

Subject: Re: parabolic mics
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Fri Jun 3, 2011 9:33 am ((PDT))
> Question 3:
Aware of how a smaller mic will be attached to a parabola in much an
easier way than a shotgun mic...
Is it possible to use the parabola approach with shotgun mics like
mine (sennh mkh 416) pointing towards the center of dish?

Dani,

My stock answer is try it and see, but borrow the parabola, don't buy
it, as you probably won't like the sound it makes. The MKH is probably
the best all-round directional mike there is, but no directional mic
will eliminate side and back sounds except a Schoeps digital Super
CMIT. A friend is a Schoeps dealer and I had a play with one but the
price is out of sight and it is unsuitable for outdoor use. It made
his living room into an anechoic chamber. :-)

The parabola is no solution to off-axis sounds and it has a very wonky
frequency response as well. The best you can get for rejection is the
?Sennheiser MKH-816 which beats everything but is large and heavy and
costs more than twice the MKH-418 unless you go for the near
equivalent on eBay - the MKH-815. I use a pair of 816's for distant
stereo.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce