Re: MixPre-D

Subject: Re: MixPre-D
From: "Jeremiah Moore" jeremiahmoore99
Date: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:43 am ((PDT))
Previous Sound Devices products with transformers have used Lundahl's.
 Also quite good.

While true that the cable required for DSLR connection is one you're
not likely to already have, it's a positive locking design, which I'd
much prefer over Minijack (for instance) in the field.  You're moving
quickly, and suddenly you're not recording sound anymore, but you
don't know it.  Which could mean a total loss of the material you've
shot.

I will admit to being a fan of Sound Devices product line, but I am a
fan for a reason:  I've used their gear professionally for 10 years
and they've proven time and time again to make smart design decisions
and make highly functional gear.

@Bruce I'm sure you will find some interested parties in this crowd if
you accomplish what you've laid out here.  My priorities for
nature-recording preamp are:

 - high gain, low noise
 - convenient and flexible powering options
 - Phantom power
 - long run times on independent power
 - field robustness
 - cost
 - size and weight

more or less in that order.

Actually, as is usually the case, the weighting of cost as a factor
goes up a lot when the price goes up.

-jeremiah

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 7:18 AM, Michael Raphael <> w=
rote:
> Jensen transformers would be great.
>
> On Apr 28, 2011, at 10:04 AM, natureguyusa wrote:
>
>> Yes, I caught that about the mixer switches after my post. I guess I loo=
k for fader pan controls when I think of mixing. I also noticed that it has=
 two more channel inputs via the aux input which is good. What I was saying=
 about the DSLR feature was the relatively uncommon connector in use. Oh, a=
bout those transformers, they may have some use in isolation at the cost of=
 much increased distortion, and much decreased common mode rejection compar=
ed to modern integrated circuits. I am not a fan of transformers.

>> I am designing a similar unit, that has all the same features as the Mix=
Pre-D, plus some very needed additional features. No USB connectivity for n=
ow. Our unit will have much better specs using the latest parts available, =
be much lower cost, at least 2-3 times the battery life, and more. It may n=
ot be built quite like a tank, but more in-line with normally built equipme=
nt. The design is still on-going as we try to add more features and fit eve=
rything in a smaller enclosure.

>> If anyone has some features you always wanted to see in field mixer/prea=
mp, let me know and I will see if we can add it in. Our units will be avail=
able before the end of the year.

>> Bruce Rutkoski
>> Owner
>> www.natureguystudio.com
>>
>> --- In  Jeremiah Moore <> wro=
te:

>> > A few quick points in response:
>> >
>> > - the "mixer" aspect is in the pan switch at the bottom of each channe=
l.
>> > Each input channel can be assigned to outputs L, R, or center.
>> >
>> > - the DSLR features are a fact-of-life for interfacing with certain ca=
meras
>> > which are in widespread use (Canon 5D for instance.) It's a compromise=
>> > recording situation. Unfortunately, in the video world, compromised
>> > recording situations are quite common. This is a "make the best you ca=
n of
>> > it" feature. If quality matters, and you're shooting a 5D, you record
>> > double system. (i.e. a separate sound recorder.)
>> >
>> > - What you're paying for is not just the mic pres, but the metering, t=
he
>> > I/O, the field-ready robustness, phantom power, M-S matrix, tone and s=
late
>> > features, headphone returns (these are used to monitor audio coming ba=
ck
>> > from a video camera in a production sound scenario.) This is a piece o=
>> > gear people are going to stake their careers on, so it needs to be bui=
lt to
>> > handle the real world of production.
>> >
>> > I, for one, am rather excited about the MixPre-D. One way I see it is =
as a
>> > replacement for the Pro Tools M-Box, with some field-mixer and
>> > swiss-army-knife features thrown in. If it's too many features and you
>> > don't want to pay for them, don't buy it.
>> >
>> > -jeremiah

 The

: