Re: MixPre-D

Subject: Re: MixPre-D
From: "natureguyusa" natureguyusa
Date: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:15 am ((PDT))
The MixPre-D doesn't look like anything to be excited about judging from the
specs. It appears to be their old design with a couple of new features, and is
more expensive. Transformer inputs are a joke in comparison to modern
integrated circuits. The input noise and dynamic range of the digital out is
comparable to a $200 Sony PCM-M10, which has an integrated recorder. The 103dB
digital output is a very inexpensive add-on and is closer to 16-bit quality
than being 24-bit. There is no spec given for input noise with the phantom
power turned on nor when at lower gains. It is certainly a battery hog. The
connectors for the dedicated output for DSLR use are uncommon, so their idea is
to sell an expensive cable to you that you will have trouble finding if you
needed one in a pinch. I am still trying to figure out what are the "mixer"
features of this microphone preamp? It does give XLR, phantom power and novel
AES and USB output, which are very useful features. The AES out can not be used
at the same time as the XLR outputs. As a DSLR mic amp, the signals are
amplified then attenuated which just injects noise from from the circuitry. All
the current DSLR mic amps do this, and my guess would be that at least the
MixPre-D might be better than DSLR mic amps from BeachTek or JuiceLink, who
don't even really give specifications for their products, but at almost twice
the price.

Just my thoughts from looking over the information,
Bruce Rutkoski
www.natureguystudio.com