Re: MixPre-D

Subject: Re: MixPre-D
From: "Jeremiah Moore" jeremiahmoore99
Date: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:35 am ((PDT))
A few quick points in response:

 - the "mixer" aspect is in the pan switch at the bottom of each channel.
 Each input channel can be assigned to outputs L, R, or center.

 - the DSLR features are a fact-of-life for interfacing with certain camera=
which are in widespread use (Canon 5D for instance.)  It's a compromised
recording situation.  Unfortunately, in the video world, compromised
recording situations are quite common.  This is a "make the best you can of
it" feature.  If quality matters, and you're shooting a 5D, you record
double system.  (i.e. a separate sound recorder.)

 - What you're paying for is not just the mic pres, but the metering, the
I/O, the field-ready robustness, phantom power, M-S matrix, tone and slate
features, headphone returns (these are used to monitor audio coming back
from a video camera in a production sound scenario.)  This is a piece of
gear people are going to stake their careers on, so it needs to be built to
handle the real world of production.

I, for one, am rather excited about the MixPre-D.  One way I see it is as a
replacement for the Pro Tools M-Box, with some field-mixer and
swiss-army-knife features thrown in.  If it's too many features and you
don't want to pay for them, don't buy it.

-jeremiah

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 4:44 AM, Patricio <> wrote:

> Excuse me, but the MixPre has transformers on the inputs as well as the
> MixPre-D.
>
> I really like the design of the MixPre, it is unclear whether the MixPre-=
> keeps the same quality.
>
> --- In  "natureguyusa" <>
> wrote:
> >
> > The MixPre-D doesn't look like anything to be excited about judging fro=
> the specs. It appears to be their old design with a couple of new feature=
s,
> and is more expensive. Transformer inputs are a joke in comparison to mod=
ern
> integrated circuits. The input noise and dynamic range of the digital out=
 is
> comparable to a $200 Sony PCM-M10, which has an integrated recorder. The
> 103dB digital output is a very inexpensive add-on and is closer to 16-bit
> quality than being 24-bit. There is no spec given for input noise with th=
> phantom power turned on nor when at lower gains. It is certainly a batter=
> hog. The connectors for the dedicated output for DSLR use are uncommon, s=
> their idea is to sell an expensive cable to you that you will have troubl=
> finding if you needed one in a pinch. I am still trying to figure out wha=
> are the "mixer" features of this microphone preamp? It does give XLR,
> phantom power and novel AES and USB output, which are very useful feature=
s.
> The AES out can not be used at the same time as the XLR outputs. As a DSL=
> mic amp, the signals are amplified then attenuated which just injects noi=
se
> from from the circuitry. All the current DSLR mic amps do this, and my gu=
ess
> would be that at least the MixPre-D might be better than DSLR mic amps fr=
om
> BeachTek or JuiceLink, who don't even really give specifications for thei=
> products, but at almost twice the price.
> >
> > Just my thoughts from looking over the information,
> > Bruce Rutkoski
> > www.natureguystudio.com
> >

> > --- In  Paul Jacobson <pj@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi All,
>

> > > Looks like Sound Devices have released a new version of the MixPre wi=
th
> usb interface.
> > >
> > > http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mixpre-d.htm
> > >
> > > Judging by the preview video it's a pretty neat bit of kit.
> > >
> > > cheers
> > > Paul

jeremiah moore | SOUND |
http://www.jeremiahmoore.com/