Re: Audio Recorders

Subject: Re: Audio Recorders
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:05 am ((PDT))
> have you tried downloading a book, or=A0files from a PC,
> [to an e-reader for use in the field]?

It's easy, if a bit tedious, to prepare a PDF in color using images scanned=
 from printed material:
 -- scan the material (image, text, handwritten notes) to a JPG file
 -- import the JPG to a word processing program
 -- annotate using the word processing program
 -- save the document as PDF

With some experimentation, you can format the document specifically for the=
 screen of your smart phone (generally 3.5 to 4.3 inches, measured diagonal=
ly), for an e-reader (5 to 7 inches), or for the screen of a computer table=
t like an iPad (7 to 10 inches).  Or you can just use your device's ability=
 to zoom the PDF in and out.

I'm sure the original copyright holder would not be pleased, but such is li=
fe in the digital age.

One problem with color screens is that they are very hard to read in direct=
 sunlight.  Several companies (Qualcomm Mirasol, Pixel Qi, others) are work=
ing on color screens that are legible in daylight, but to my knowledge they=
 are not commercially available.  The Notion Ink Adam tablet offered the Pi=
xel Qi screen as an option, but those are sold out at the moment.  Daylight=
 readable color screens have the additional advantage of using less power t=
han traditional LCD displays.

I should mention that LCD displays don't work reliably when heated up by di=
rect sunlight.  My Olympus LS-10 display went all dark when I left it recor=
ding in the sun one day with the ambient temperature about 95*F / 35*C.  Th=
e display returned to normal after a few minutes in the shade.

--oryoki