Re: Binaural Upgrade

Subject: Re: Binaural Upgrade
From: "James Shatto" wwwshadow7
Date: Mon Nov 1, 2010 4:34 pm ((PDT))
140SPL, because proximity can and will exceed that level.=C2=A0 I've maxed =
out a 125dB SPL mic at 18" with a trombone.=C2=A0 And I still had more to g=
ive.=C2=A0 Put a group of 100 trombones in front of that mic and no good ca=
n come of it.=C2=A0 With proximity.=C2=A0 Even without proximity you'll hav=
e someone clapping within a few feet of your mics.=C2=A0 Maybe even some gu=
n fire, door slams, screams of horror, and whatever mayham is modern life.=
=C2=A0 Not quite a nature requirement, but a wolf howl at less than 5 yards=
?=C2=A0 Lightning?=C2=A0 Gun fire?=C2=A0 A fallen tree?=C2=A0 Or just a mil=
lion plus insects, it all adds up.=C2=A0 Even if no one source is > 86dB (s=
afe levels), when combined their chorus is deafening.

And then there's the distortion factor.=C2=A0 When mics operate at their li=
mits, they change character.=C2=A0 Having higher limits makes them sound be=
tter at most sane levels IMO.=C2=A0 Which is the main reason I got rid of m=
y SM81's.=C2=A0 With a brass quintet, nice mics.=C2=A0 With a brass band(40=
+ members), who replaced my mics with something not as good.=C2=A0 Plus you=
 can't have 110dB+ of dynamic range if your mics suck past 100dB.=C2=A0 Not=
 that noise floor means anything at those levels, but they can be reached i=
n nature.=C2=A0 Rock slide, volcano, ...=C2=A0 perhaps not an everyday thin=
g, but it can and ultimately will happen.=C2=A0 You only need it once to ne=
ed it.

- James