Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: Binaural Upgrade

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: Binaural Upgrade
From: Avocet <>
Date: Monday, November 1, 2010, 4:51 PM

=C2=A0

      Sorry folks I've just posted on this subject but I need to cooment on=

this quote which has just downloaded:

> SPL limit >=3D 140dB

> S/N =3D> 80dB +/- 10 (higher is better)

> Self Noise <=3D 15dB +/- 10 (A weighted / lower is better)

> Response =3D 20Hz-20kHz

What on earth is being recorded at 140dBA? What mic input stage will

handdle that? That's well into ear damage country. 90 dBs is very

uncomfortable, 50 dB higher is 100,000 times that sound energy level.

Your ear wax will be moving. (Not a recommended treatment)

A S/N is relevant to a recording, not a transducer. With a background

noise of 30dBs (quiet), That's a recording of a 110 dBA sound. For a

loud natural sound at 90dBA, this is asking for a noise level of