Re: Binaural Upgrade

Subject: Re: Binaural Upgrade
From: "James Shatto" wwwshadow7
Date: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:45 am ((PDT))
I guess one should ask.=C2=A0 $300 PER mic, or for TWO mics?=C2=A0 Since bi=
naural implies two mics.

I've never used those specifically, but the advantage of small microphones =
is that they have a small profile which is good for managing wind noise.=C2=
=A0 And other wind influences.=C2=A0 Lavalier sized foam and/or wind jammer=
s are cheap in comparison to their larger cousins.=C2=A0 But not quite as e=
ffective.

For the OKM II Klassic (just guessing since the specs are partially in germ=
an)
SPL limit =3D 125dB (108dB)
S/N =3D 61dB
Noise =3D 33dB
Response =3D 20Hz-20kHz

Not bad, but for (squigly L)201.00, you could probably do better.=C2=A0 ~$3=
20 USD at current exchange rates.

For the SP-TFB-2
SPL limit =3D 120dB (105dB)
S/N =3D 60dB
Noise =3D not listed, but with 81dB
 dynamic range > 20dB probably 30dB-ish
Response =3D 20Hz-20kHz

Kind of good actually for $89 USD for TWO mics.=C2=A0 But nothing too excit=
ing.=C2=A0 And still a bit limited on what you can record.

For nature stuff you want to try for mics with an S/N > 70dB and/or a Noise=
 Floor (A weighted) <=3D 15dB.=C2=A0 Some of which depends on what you will=
 be recording with on the back end.

What I look for in pro-ish gear is:

SPL limit >=3D 140dB
S/N =3D> 80dB +/- 10 (higher is better)
Self Noise <=3D 15dB +/- 10 (A weighted / lower is better)
Response =3D 20Hz-20kHz

But that's kind of a tall order in some cases.=C2=A0 AT4022's seems to be c=
lose enough, but $500 (MSRP) PER mic.=C2=A0 Street price is normally cheape=
r.=C2=A0 My current STO-2's meet those specs, with the exception of the noi=
se specs.=C2=A0 Crown Sass-P MK II if you're not set on the ear sized confi=
guration does come up on eBay every now and then in the $300 range.=C2=A0 I=
t looks like the dollar is sucking more, the new one is $200 more now than =
it was just a few years ago.=C2=A0 30% increase-ish.=C2=A0 So I guess $400+=
 would be the going eBay rate.=C2=A0 Nothing currently listed for that one =
as far as I can tell.

Basically stick with your TFB-2's until you find something noticeably bette=
r.  At least a higher SPL.  And hopefully a lower noise floor.  Most other =
things can be compensated for in one form or another.

- James