Re: Binaural Upgrade

Subject: Re: Binaural Upgrade
From: "James Shatto" wwwshadow7
Date: Tue Nov 2, 2010 7:43 am ((PDT))
> I'll grant you the "headroom" argument. You don't want to
> drive a mic
> to the limits, and a mic can overload on some frequencies
> more than
> others, but I was just pointing out how big 140dBA is.

I know it's big.  But proximity does wonders.  It doesn't even have to be 140dB
to crest the mics 140dB limit with proximity.  Since those specs are probably
over stated to start with and measured at 1 meter, not 3"'s.  Ever see a singer
hold a mic a meter from their face.  Granted that the good ones know to
artificially attenuate the sound with distance when they go for the gusto.

I've had thunder from a strike about ten yards away and I'm pretty sure that
ranks right up there with one of the loudest things I've ever heard.  And I was
in the 283rd Army Band performing Ranger Graduations where they set off C4 with
the Band half the distance between it and the audience.  Anyone ever record a
stampede with proximity?  Granted that hollywood has trained us what things
sound like, even though they don't.  I finally met my first rattler with
rattles this year.  And when they're mad, those rattles are going 20x's faster
than any hollywood version I've heard.  As the cat was sparing with something
at least 3x's her size.

- James