Re: Binaural Upgrade

Subject: Re: Binaural Upgrade
From: "James Shatto" wwwshadow7
Date: Mon Nov 1, 2010 6:07 pm ((PDT))
But how would you know that you didn't?=C2=A0 Natural sounds don't normally=
 repeat and sustain at their max SPL.=C2=A0 Where a trombone does sustain s=
o you can tell by the flat line of peaks over a duration.=C2=A0 Plus you'd =
have to hear it live and be intimately familiar with said sound to know tha=
t it doesn't sound like it did live.=C2=A0 Not that you'd know why without =
a repeatable test, but you'd know that it wasn't quite right.=C2=A0 Granted=
 that we aren't as critical about natural sounds because we aren't as famil=
iar with them.=C2=A0 And with the varied venues and orientations to the sou=
nds it'd be difficult to tell if it was the location or the mics.=C2=A0 Plu=
s that whole proximity issue.=C2=A0 Anyone up for putting a decibel meter i=
n front of an elephants trunk when it trumpets?=C2=A0 How about a reading f=
rom the base of niagra falls?

And then there's unnatural sources.=C2=A0 200dB air horns, 160dB shotgun, a=
nd I could swear than one flight I was on that the ding for the stewardess =
was at least 140dB.=C2=A0 I was about ready to start dismantling an airplan=
e by the end of that flight.

40,000 hours is about 13.7 years of 8 hour days of recording 7 days a week.=
=C2=A0 As I wonder how many batteries that translates into.=C2=A0 And at 1G=
B per hour of stereo audio (rough estimation) in digital form.=C2=A0 40TB o=
f data.=C2=A0 Not quite a home wrecker at todays prices.=C2=A0 But five yea=
rs ago 20TB would run you $5 per GB.=C2=A0 $100K in storage alone.=C2=A0 Th=
at's quite an expensive hobby you got there.

- James