Re: LS-10 Arrived Today

Subject: Re: LS-10 Arrived Today
From: "James Shatto" wwwshadow7
Date: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:43 pm ((PDT))
I've found that the fabric itself for the fake fur that I use is thick / st=
urdy enough to provide enough structure.=C2=A0 And the business end of my m=
ics (avenson sto-2) small enough to help towards that end.=C2=A0 In combina=
tion with some velcro cord ties to build up a support disc (and block rearw=
ard wind), quite helpful.=C2=A0 But it's not quite wind proof since my fake=
 fur is only 1/2" in length per layer.=C2=A0 And there's some high end loss=
.=C2=A0 I seem to be loosing about 3.5db on the high end as a consequence o=
f my old, but similar setup.=C2=A0 Probably closer to 2.5dB on my current o=
ne.=C2=A0 I've stitched together a nyquist plugin to help with the EQ part =
in audacity.=C2=A0 Controls are how much dB to add to the upper end.=C2=A0 =
And a value to taper down per band(currently 22 bands).=C2=A0 0.8 is 80% th=
e previous bands value going highest kHz to lowest Hz.

http://home.earthlink.net/~shadow_7/FauxFurEQ.ny

In linux, putting that in /usr/share/audacity/plugins/ makes it show up in =
the Effects menu.=C2=A0 Perhaps of use to someone.=C2=A0 Or not.=C2=A0 With=
out it my other recordings have muffled voices and no marimbas.=C2=A0 With =
it, are these the same mics I've been looking to replace going on two years=
 now?=C2=A0 Now to config the same routine to use nyquist directly as a scr=
ipted process with nyquist file-io.=C2=A0 On the plus side, boosting the hi=
gh end frequencies seems to make the self noise of the gear, which is towar=
ds the low end, less significant.=C2=A0 And it's a post step which doesn't =
do anything for how it sounds live through the headphones.=C2=A0 Someday I'=
ll do something more scientific than just plugging in numbers until it soun=
ds right-ish.

- James