Re: LS-10 Arrived Today

Subject: Re: LS-10 Arrived Today
From: "Rick Munday" baumann1965
Date: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:52 am ((PDT))

> I toyed with the idea of fitting the recorder into a zeppelin. The proble=
> though is that the only remote available is an infra-red one, so once the
> recorder is in the zeppelin you'd have no way of controlling it or
> monitoring the screen. without pulling it out. This might be OK for a
> long-duration in-situ recording, but not very practical if you're on the
> move.

I saw the remote. My first thought was an extension cable to move it to the
side or amidships of the zeppelin but I don't know that it'd work. I emaile=
Olympus support to see what their thoughts were.

I use mine with a pair of MiniPIP microphones (similar spec to your EM172s)
> in a Rycote blimp. I simply mounted one microphone on each of the two
> "hoops" that would normally support the suspension for a shotgun mic, and
> put some acoustic foam in between to increase separation. It's not very
> scientific, but the stereo effect is quite decent (and way better than th=
> built-in mics) and the set up is light and well protected against wind.

Sounds like a good layout. For now, I'm having to stick to a fairly low
budget.

Did you angle the PIPs more forward or are they directed hard left and
right?

I like the tea strainer idea someone did for the Shure 138s (I think it was
John Hartog). I keep seeing these white ball halves too in photos, I think
that must be something from a craft store, will look into those too. It
seems like the strainer would be more transparent as far as sound.

I've been sitting here this morning playing with a flash offset bracket I
had laying around trying to figure out a windsock bracket.

Rick