Re: Great horned owls and coyotes with echos.

Subject: Re: Great horned owls and coyotes with echos.
From: "hartogj" hartogj
Date: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:31 am ((PDT))
--- In  Rick Munday <> wrote:

> Interesting! Thanks. It sounds really good! The reverberation in the wood=
> reminds me of the cathedral effect in a forest near us. I posted a piece
> last week (creaky tree) from that forest.

I enjoyed your creaky tree. It is amazing how reverberations can transform =
a voice. I wonder if sometimes coyotes wander yipping and yoting until they=
 reach the spot where their voices begin resounding, and then celebrate in =
chorus.

> Did you try the back plate (bowl half) turned around and cupped more like=
 an
> ear? My immediate thought is too much resonance but it's worth asking.

I haven't tried that yet.

> What did you use for the sock support tubing? That looks like pex tubing.

It is at least similar to pex, looks like about 3/8 inch OD. Just some plas=
tic tubing I scavenged somewhere.

> I guess I was on the same track for the idea except the nose piece was go=
ing
> to be a yoga block instead of the bowl, again thinking about resonance.

I wanted to stick with the open-cell baffle design. I am guessing the nose =
piece foam is enough to dampen any significant reflections from the hard no=
se casing. I am not sure if the nose casing actually serves a purpose at al=
l, other than protecting the open-cell foam - or in my case supporting the =
plastic tubing.

John Hartog