Re: LS-10 Arrived Today

Subject: Re: LS-10 Arrived Today
From: "Tom Williams" pterodax
Date: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:40 pm ((PDT))
The build quality of the LS-series recorders is great - similarly priced
Tascam or Zoom recorders feel very cheap and plasticky by comparison.

I toyed with the idea of fitting the recorder into a zeppelin. The problem
though is that the only remote available is an infra-red one, so once the
recorder is in the zeppelin you'd have no way of controlling it or
monitoring the screen. without pulling it out. This might be OK for a
long-duration in-situ recording, but not very practical if you're on the
move.

I use mine with a pair of MiniPIP microphones (similar spec to your EM172s)
in a Rycote blimp. I simply mounted one microphone on each of the two
"hoops" that would normally support the suspension for a shotgun mic, and
put some acoustic foam in between to increase separation. It's not very
scientific, but the stereo effect is quite decent (and way better than the
built-in mics) and the set up is light and well protected against wind.

Hope this helps, have fun recording with your new gear!

Tom