Re: LS-10 Arrived Today

Subject: Re: LS-10 Arrived Today
From: "James Shatto" wwwshadow7
Date: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:27 pm ((PDT))
IME, any gaps or holes in the coverage, of the wind dampening materials, ne=
gates the whole of the coverage.=C2=A0 It has to be an air chamber, not an =
air pocket.=C2=A0 Most of the point of my velcro backing is because stoppin=
g the wind from coming in that gap, where the mic body or mic cable protrud=
es out of the tribble was difficult at best.=C2=A0 When done right, any win=
d noise that you're getting (if any) should be consistent for the condition=
s regardless of what direction you point the mics.=C2=A0 And in my case we'=
re talking pretty severe conditions.=C2=A0 Conditions that most commercial =
options would have difficulty with.

I've mainly pursued the DIY route because I consider the fake fur a disposa=
ble item.=C2=A0 If it gets wet or dirty, I put on a new DIY sock.=C2=A0 If =
it's super windy, I put on an extra DIY sock.=C2=A0 At $20 a square yard an=
d two mics to cover, I've probably got a five year supply with the one squa=
re yard I bought.=C2=A0 Granted that I probably have $40 in velcro cord tie=
s.=C2=A0 Which I consider reuseable.=C2=A0 And that gives me enough of the =
black ones to use on the outside..=C2=A0 A few of the more commercial optio=
ns can run upwards of $1K per mic.=C2=A0 And for that cash, I'd rather have=
 better mics (and/or more beer).

- James