Re: Sound Devices updates the USBPre

Subject: Re: Sound Devices updates the USBPre
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:45 am ((PDT))
Rob Danielson wrote:

> I'm surprised Sound Devices omitted the internal batteries
> considering they mostly specialize in portable gear.

The USBPre version 1 had no internal battery, either.  It was powered by the
USB connection from a computer.  The new USBPre 2 has the option to be powered
externally.

The MixPre is the Sound Devices field preamp with provision for an internal
battery of AA cells.  Maybe Sound Devices will update the MixPre to use the
fancy meters and better preamp electronics of the USBPre 2.

Thanks to all who pointed out that the coax digital input and output for the
USBPre 2 is on the end of the device next to the USB port.  The optical digital
in/out is on the back panel, meaning the side of the USBPre 2 that's opposite
the side that has the input gain controls and meters.

If the USBPre is standing up in a shoulder bag, that puts the optical digital
output on the bottom, not the best location for relatively fragile optical
cables.  You'd certainly need right angle connectors.

Currently available recorders with coax digital input include
M-Audio MicroTrack II
Marantz PMD661
Marantz PMD671
Edirol R-44
Tascam DR-680
Tascam HD-P2
all Sound Devices 7xx recorders

Recently discontinued models with coax digital input
Marantz PMD660
Edirol R-4
Edirol R-4 Pro

Currently available recorders with optical digital input
Sony PCM-D50

Recently discontinued with optical digital input
all of Sony's minidisc models

Did I miss any?

--oryoki