Re: Sound Devices updates the USBPre

Subject: Re: Sound Devices updates the USBPre
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:45 am ((PDT))
Hi,
    Digital output via optical / toslink can be seen on the side of the dev=
ice. - If you have a D50 it should plug directly into the D50's optical inp=
ut with a toslink adapter. - Nice.

RCA (galvanic) Digital output is near the USB socket.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

Question remains if multiple devices can be linked and synchronous clock ac=
curate
recordings made.  If not, for me its not bringing much to the table that ca=
n't be covered already with an FR2-LE and D50. If the driver allows you can=
 gang multiple usbpre2's it would be very nice for surround recording / pro=
cessing with a laptop. Although an expensive one.

-M

--- In  "oryoki2000" <> wrote:

> Sound Devices introduced the USBPre 2 a few days ago.  This is an update =
of their popular USBPre preamp.  The USBPre 2 uses meters from the Sound De=
vices mixer line, and the same preamp design and components as the 7 series=
 recorders, i.e., about as good as a field preamp gets.

> The documentation for the USBPre mentions coax optical input and output v=
ia RCA jacks, but I don't see these ports on the photos of the USBPre.  Per=
haps the unit in the photos is a pre-production model.

> The USBPre 2 web page is http://www.sounddevices.com/products/usbpre2.htm
>
> Like its predecessor, the USBPre 2 has no battery compartment. Power must=
 come from an external 5V source of no more than 500 mA, connected to the U=
SB port.  Needing an external power source makes the USBPre 2 a little hard=
er to use in the field.  This sort of power source is used to recharge elec=
tronics like iPods and cell phones, and is commonly available.

> Dimensions of the USBPre 2 are 180 x 100 x 43 mm, weight about 500 g.
> Retail price will be $650 USD.  The product will be available in October.=
  The original USBPre price is now $550.