Re: RME quadmic

Subject: Re: RME quadmic
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:34 pm ((PDT))
Hi again,

I'm also curious whether the Earthworks ZDT1024 EIN specification of -143 d=
BV can be taken is seriously. A figure of -143 dBV would correspond to -140=
.8 dBu.

However, there is also a theoretic limit for the EIN that can simply be cal=
culated from the value of the input impedance, the temperature and the band=
width.

The EIN of a preamplifier is usually measured with a termination resistor o=
f 150 ohms. However, the thermal noise produced by a 150 ohm resistor is al=
ready -136 dBu (A-weighted)! See http://www.rane.com/note148.html, table 2.=

So, how can Earthworks make a preamp that is quieter than the theoretic lim=
it??? Obviously, they did not use the standard 150 ohm termination. So, in =
my opinion the -143 dBV specification provided by Earthworks is just a misl=
eading marketing gag...

Regards,
Raimund