[Nature Recordists] Re: RME quadmic

Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: RME quadmic
From: Raimund <>
>Looking at just a few of the microphones that I have available:
with RME Quadmic        Noise Penalty
> Schoeps Mk2    -36 dBV - 83 =3D -119 dBV    -118.6                       =
 0.4 dB
> Rode NT1A        -36 dBV -87 =3D -123 dBV    -120.8                      =
  2.2 dB
> Shure SM81       -45 dBV -78 =3D -123 dBV    -120.8                      =
  2.2 dB

> AT3032              -38 dBV
> -86 =3D -124 dBV    -121.2                        2.8 dB

> Hopefully I haven't made another arithmetic error.  These are still prett=
y small differences but they are important to me!

Hi Eric,

As far as I understand, the absolute noise voltage levels of all these micr=
ophones is in the range between about -120 and -117 dBu, which is at least =
9 dB higher than the -129 dBu figure of the RME Quadmic. The increase of th=
e total noise level of the recording system must be calculated from the roo=
t mean square of the two noise voltage components on a linear scale express=
ed in =B5V, not dB. So, the increase of the total noise in conjunction with=
 the RME Quadmic should be still less than about 0.4 dB for all these micro=
phones.

Regards,
Raimund