Re: RME quadmic

Subject: Re: RME quadmic
From: "Eric Benjamin" ericbenjamin2
Date: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:03 am ((PDT))
Raimund,

You're right.  I made an arithmetic error.  My apologies to all for giving =
out incorrect information.  But please note that it doesn't change my recom=
mendation.  I like the Quadmic just fine, especially for the price.  But...

> I'm afraid that a preamp noise figure of -143 dBV does not provide a
significant advantage in conjunction with any real microphone under
real-world conditions...
That's not necessarily so.  I didn't go far enough in my calculations.  Loo=
king at just a few of the microphones that I have available:

                                                           with RME Quadmic=
        Noise Penalty
Schoeps Mk2    -36 dBV - 83 =3D -119 dBV    -118.6                        0=
.4 dB
Rode NT1A        -36 dBV -87 =3D -123 dBV    -120.8                        =
Message: 2.
Subject: 2 dB
Shure SM81       -45 dBV -78 =3D -123 dBV    -120.8                        =
Message: 2.

AT3032              -38 dBV
-86 =3D -124 dBV    -121.2                        2.8 dB
Hopefully I haven't made another arithmetic error.  These are still pretty =
small differences but they are important to me!  But not important enough f=
or me to take $3200 out of my wallet and purchase an Earthworks ZDT1024, be=
cause my wallet is not that deep.

The one-third octave spectrum of the noise of typical microphones is tilted=
 up at both frequency extremes compared to preamp noise which causes A-weig=
hting to give a relatively poorer estimation of the loudness of the noise s=
o the audible difference may be greater than what is indicated in the 'Nois=
e penalty' column of my table.

Eric