Re: from metadata to archiving

Subject: Re: from metadata to archiving
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:32 pm ((PDT))
Hi Vicki

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

Mac OSX (and I assume a similar case holds for WinOS) recognises two date and
time stamps relating to files - Creation Date and Modification Date.  Copying
the WAV files from your recorder to your computer  will preserve the Creation
Date but will alter the Modification Date. If you edit the file and "Save" back
to the same disk file you should retain the original Creation Date but get an
altered Modification Date. Once you "save as" or "save" to a different file you
are effectively creating a new file and the Creation Date will reflect the date
and time this was created, so you loose the date stamp of the original file.

This is the information the HDP2 embeds (minus timecode "junk" and xml header)
as metadata:

<dict>
        <key>description</key>
        <string>tTAPE=091231
</string>
        <key>originationDate</key>
        <string>2009-12-31</string>
        <key>originationTime</key>
        <string>06:30:09</string>
        <key>originator</key>
        <string>TASCAM HD-P2</string>
        <key>originatorReference</key>
        <string></string>
</dict>
.
This information will survive editing providing you save using a BWF aware
application and is far better than relying on file system creation dates.  I'd
recommend unless you have a really compelling reason to save to AIFF that you
should consider using WAV for archives and edited files.

cheers
Paul