Re: from metadata to archiving

Subject: Re: from metadata to archiving
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:30 pm ((PDT))
>It just happens that I have a final project for a programming course
>coming up and was trying to think of something to do.
>Since I currently don't have a very good documenting system for my own
>recordings. I've decided to develop an application.
>
>Here is the basic idea:
>-allow the user to enter information to relevant categories for nature
>and other field recordists.
>-the user could input text files (for example: created in a smart phone,
>or exported from an audio file's Metadata) to fill in the categories
>-the user could link audio files and pictures to the database
>-create a fully searchable database
>-create various output options for the data: (1) PDF, (2) HTML, (3)
>possibly, iXML

Hi Charles--
I think all are doable with a real database at the end and a
consolidating app.  I spelled-out more in a possible scenario to Marc.

>I personally don't see the point of trying to create an audio editor and
>database within one application. All I would want my database to do is
>play the audio.

They aren't combined in my sketch. I suspect this would create
problems-- not the least of which is finding anyone who could do both
types of programming at the highest level!

The "consolidation" app allows you to bring in other data as you
perform your basic editing/logging tasks, _but you don't have to_. If
you just need to open a set of recordings to look for a best take,
throw them _all_ into the consolidation app's timeline in
chronological order and star playing through them. Lets say you come
across  something you'd like to play with in Sound Forge. Make a
region, give it an organized name, export it and open a copy in Sound
Forge. If  this is as far as you go with "logging," just add global
info like place, date, gear used and export the data doc. Open up
that up in the database,save it and its in your database. Later if
you want to add more info. open the consolidation app session doc and
keep working. Update the database with the new exported data when
you're finished.

Its not to make chores, its to facilitate getting organized by adding
as few steps as we can. I have 2 or 3 other audio apps open
trying/doing other things while I'm using Reaper to compile the info
that will become the database record.

Let me know if anything about this is confusing or seems like a waste of ti=
me.
Rob D.

>For anything else I'd use Sound Forge, which has been in
>development for over a decade, and is pretty flawless.
>
>I would like help defining the categories for the template database.

That's pretty much the same thing as a database "record."  Think
about what you need to know now and later. As for biological,
categories, there's much discussion in the archive about these and
recordists like Martyn and Bernie who are using elaborate
designations now. Rob D.

>Thanks,
>Charles
>
>On 4/21/10 4:30 PM, Rob Danielson wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Wil-
>>  It is fun to imagine features like the automatic tags we are getting
>>  used to being expanded-upon. I'm trying to get a handle on the the
>>  programming that has to be done in reverse. The "consolidation" app
>>  (for logging/editng/mxing/data-exporting) has to meet the database's
>>  needs and then the "consolidation" app can be optimized to handle
>>  b-wavs, other formats and incorporating new data.
>>
>>  Others on this list know a lot about metadata and programming. Reaper
>>  isn't too shoddy at using b-wavs right now. I think a good number of
>>  hardware manufacturers and software programmers are ignoring
>>  industry-specified chunk designations. No matter, we'll still have
>>  to accommodate exceptions for people to be happy. At this stage, I'm
>>  assuming that converting/editing apps will be needed to get some
>>  files ready for the "consolidation" app and that they don't have to
>>  be expensive. Rob D.
>>
>>  At 12:55 PM -0400 4/21/10, Wil Hershberger wrote:
>>  >
>>  >Yes, Rob, that makes perfect sense. It would be great to have an app t=
hat
>>  >would work something like BreezeBrowsers downloader pro and would be
>  > cross
>>  >platform. There are a few applications that will allow for metadata
>>  editing
>>  >but they are hugely expensive.
>>  >
>>  >Most of the recorders are saving Broadcast wav files. With this set
>>  >structure there certainly must be a way to access all of the bext
>>  chunk data
>>  >slots in an easy and inexpensive way.
>>  >
>>  >Wil Hershberger