Re: Do we still love the NT1a?

Subject: Re: Do we still love the NT1a?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:02 am ((PDT))
At 10:37 AM -0400 9/11/09, David Michael wrote:

>Thanks for all the responses.
>
>Considering that the cost of a matched pair is about $400, the NT1a
>still seem like an amazing bargain - even given some of the
>short-comings mentioned.

Hi David-

Getting matched pairs may not help the "luck of the draw" on the
moisture performance. It hasn't in a few cases I know of. If you
end-up sending one back, there's goes the extra money.

>I wonder if I could pose another question ...
>I am going to be doing some recording in the Amazon this November (for
>which I wanted to get an extra pair of mics). Are there any other
>budget mics with a very low noise floor that are more inherently
>resilient to humidity than the NT1a?

There could be many others that people can report. I suspect that
moisture performance is determined by factors more complex then
simply the model or capsule size or capsule design.  I've had a
single pair of NT1-A's on my rig with a MKH-40/80 pair for 4+ years
and I can't remember the last time it had moisture issues.  There has
been very dense ground fog here from 3 am to 8 am for the last 10
days without a single "pop."

>Or should I perhaps just get a
>pair and test them ruthlessly until November, sending back the duds to
>Rode until I find the sweet spot?

If you get a clunker, try to provide them good documentation. Will
speed up their response.

>The microphones I want to get are going to supplement a Sennheiser
>30/40 M/S pair for use in surround recordings.

This is an "array design" question that others can entertain.  I
personally think that a rear pair comprised of head-spaced, baffled
wide cardioid mics angled in the 60-80 degree range are a pretty good
match with the way the Figure 8 covers the sides at 180 degrees in
the front. Other array combinations might be more preferable, but
that's a larger topic. There's quite a bit of previous discussion
about "angle + NT1" Rob D.