Microphone Noise Floor Problem

Subject: Microphone Noise Floor Problem
From: "jmccubbinmd" jmccubbinmd
Date: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:57 am ((PDT))
I'm relatively new to recording outdoor ambient sounds, but am very intrigu=
ed by it.  I have done plenty of audio recording (amateur), but also have a=
 background in astroimaging.  I have been trying to solve the noise floor p=
roblem with microphones, as it seems to bug everyone to some degree.  It ju=
st seems difficult and expensive to get rid of it.  So that got me thinking=
.

For you audio engineers out there, please tell me if this is solid thinking=
.

When I take an astrophotograph, our exposure times are very long.  The chip=
 suffers from electronic noise, not unlike mic noise.  To get rid of it, we=
 "calibrate" our images.  One of the things we do is to take a "dark frame"=
 of equal length, at the same temperature, and same degree of thermoelectri=
c cooling of the chip.  Then we mathematically subtract the noise from the =
image and the image improves dramatically.

As I was cycling through the countryside today it struck me that might be p=
ossible with microphone noise.  So I tried it.  I did some more recording o=
f my test subject (for now), the pond at our farm.  I got a clip of a bird =
chirping (my wife thinks it's a warbler, I'm not an expert on bird calls, s=
o and ID would be appreciated).

I then recorded a 10 second clip with the microphones at the same gain in a=
s quiet conditions as I could find in my study (full of books and very quie=
t).  I used that as my "noise floor sample".

Then I imported the audio into Audacity (for simplicity) and first amplifie=
d the bird call sample a fixed amount (19db in this case).  I then amplifie=
d the noise floor sample by the same amount.  I then did a high pass filter=
 to get rid of a distant train passing (troublesome buggers).

Then I copied the clip with and without the noise reduction.  In audacity, =
you first take a "noise sample reference", then apply that reference to the=
 redording.  Obviously, I used the noise sample and applied it to the recor=
ding of the bird.  The first half of his mp3 is without noise reduction, ju=
st the 19db amplification and hipass filter.  The second half is with noise=
 reduction.

I think it worked.

If there is a better way of doing this, let me know.

The equipment used here is a "matched" pair of Rode NT1-A's with foam wind =
guards, into a Sound Devices 702.  The gain was set at 61.8db both for the =
recording and for the noise sample as I felt this needed to be exactly the =
same for both.

Here is the comparison sample:

http://m57.net/downloads/sfp/warblertest.mp3