Re: Microphone Noise Floor Problem

Subject: Re: Microphone Noise Floor Problem
From: "ScottFraser" scottbfraser
Date: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:50 pm ((PDT))
<<I've tried a few methods, are you talking about "noise floor" from the mic or
preamp?>>

It doesn't matter. It ends up as some variant of white noise in the resulting
audio file. The means to deal with it is the same regardless of source.

<<BIAS sound soap etc is one tool, never really had much joy with it myself.>>

Sound Soap, in my experience, is a complete waste of time. I found the results
to be generally worse than the original noisy recording. Sound Soap Pro, on the
other hand, is a fully professional tool which has been very successful in
removing broadband noise in hundreds of cases in my recording & CD mastering
business. Well worth the price of admission.

<<Just a thought, I face the same problem myself - I need a magic acoustic
eraser for traffic noise.>>

Not particularly applicable for traffic, which is a steady state constant, but
for impulse noises such as clicks, squeaks, creaks, etc, the RX noise reduction
application from iZotope is nothing short of astounding. If ever there was a
magic audio eraser, the Spectral Repair portion of RX is this.

Scott Fraser