Re: Do we still love the NT1a?

Subject: Re: Do we still love the NT1a?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:49 pm ((PDT))
At 3:06 PM +0000 9/10/09, natureguyusa wrote:
>David,
>
>... They are somewhat sensitive to moisture and may stop working
>under high humidity, foggy conditions. I use a small heater, while
>recording, under such conditions after they failed on me twice
>during warm, foggy conditions. The failure was temporary, but I lost
>some very good material.

Hi Bruce et al--
I've placed 4 pairs of NT1-A's into prolonged outdoor use and
observed another 16 pairs that were used by college students. I
believe 3 of these developed issues under high humidity operation.
Similar to what Dan outlined with his AT-3203's, I would suggest that
humidity resistance with the NT1-A's, NT2-As and NT2000's can range
from excellent to poor and, at present, there's a bit of "luck of the
draw" involved.

Rode has never failed to repair or replace any mics I've returned
until I'm happy.  They guarantee their mics for 10 years if one
registers it within the first year.
http://www.rodemic.com/warranty.php  [It might be helpful to include
a recording sample with your RMA request with the good mic on one
channel and the bad on on the other under the same recording
conditions. If you think of it, flip the cables around as well to
eliminate the bad cable/pre variables.]

Using the return process when necessary, one can end-up with mics
that will perform as well as any other mics I've tried. The four
NT2000's I've had outside 24-7 this summer will occasionally "pop"a
few times after many hours of exposure to 100% humidity. The "pop" is
a very brief interruption; the recording is otherwise usable. I did,
however, have to return 3 of the 6 NT2000 units I bought over the
last 2.5 years before attaining the excellent performance I enjoy
now.  Rob D.