Re: Do we still love the NT1a?

Subject: Re: Do we still love the NT1a?
From: "ScottFraser" scottbfraser
Date: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:32 am ((PDT))
<<I wonder if I could pose another question ...
I am going to be doing some recording in the Amazon this November (for whic=
h I wanted to get an extra pair of mics). Are there any other budget mics w=
ith a very low noise floor that are more inherently resilient to humidity t=
han the NT1a? Or should I perhaps just get a pair and test them ruthlessly =
until November, sending back the duds to Rode until I find the sweet spot?>=

Generally speaking, all true condenser microphones are susceptible to poppi=
ng in high humidity. Electret condenser types generally are not. In a rain =
forest in Costa Rica my AKGs were completely unusable from the get-go, whil=
e a cheap AT 825 handled the humidity without problems, albeit with a much =
higher noise floor. I would look for some higher end electrets, bearing in =
mind that many manufacturers don't reveal that their microphones use that t=
echnology (bad rep from long ago). Various DPA's are electrets, as well as =
the workhorse of the PA industry, the Shure SM81.
Also dynamic mics are unaffected by humidity. I believe Bernie uses Beyer M=
201's when faced with humid climates.

Scott Fraser