Re: Hello all!

Subject: Re: Hello all!
From: "brucethehoon" brucethehoon
Date: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:00 pm ((PDT))
Thank you so much for your reply. The number of private email replies I got
rather overwhelmed me and as such I didn't get back to the group in my usual
speedy manner.

To update, I have purchased the PCM-D50, realizing that I really don't care how
much this costs, but ruggedness is a factor.

That said, as requested below, my first and most important use will be to
record one hour or more of waves / surf at a california beach with 30mph winds
gusting to 50mph.

I will have the unit on a sand compatible tripod (legs buried) and would like
to record the EXPERIENCE of being there. While not necessarily suggesting a
binaural setup, I would like to play it back later and be fairly able to close
my eyes and be there again.

If I was able to pack the whole setup (excluding tripod) into an average sized
backback, that would be "portable" for me.

Spending ANOTHER $300-500 on microphones seems reasonable to me.  I can
appreciate that it might seem absurd to drop so much in advance, but I would
rather take the risk of spending too much money than take the risk of getting a
lower quality recording during a once in a lifetime trip.

I am using Shure E5C's as my listening method, so I suppose anything they can't
play, I don't care about, when it comes to quality :)