Re: Hello all!

Subject: Re: Hello all!
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:10 pm ((PDT))
Marianos and Bruce--

If the criteria Marianos has assumed are correct,
I feel these goals could be met with a Zoom H2
for $180USD and a couple of different, DIY,
wind-protected stereo arrays made with $40
Panasonic WM-61A electret mic capsules.

To me, it appears quite easy for beginners to
_over-spend_ thinking that $100 or $200 more
towards the recorder should somehow improve the
recordings when they are using built-in mics or
mics on the level of an MS907 or AT822. Its not a
recorder, but a recording _system_ that one
invests in.  I think "high quality" is an
respectable goal and such a system always starts
with the mics.  Without mics capable of low-noise
output, recordings made by MD recorders will be
indistinguishable from those made by the newer
recorders costing $300-$400.

As best as I can tell, there are a hand full of
slightly more expensive recorders that one can
buy that would support "quality recordings" in
the long term should a recordist want to invest
in low noise mics eventually. They are the Fostex
FR-2LE , SONY PCM-D50, Marantz 661; Marantz
PMD671 and SONY Hi-MD's. Bruce, you can buy one
of these within your $600 budget, use low cost
electrets externally for better stereo imaging
and keep the "high quality" doors open.

However, if Bruce can see that he will definitely
NOT become obsessed with making low noise field
recordings as many readers on this list are, it
may be useful for him to know that it can be
equally as fulfilling to spend as little as
possible and focus on the key skills like
studying micing techniques, mic options, making
mic rigs and making impressive stereo recordings.
Quality-wise, there's nothing inferior about a
$50 used Sony or Sharp MD recorder with manual
gain and $50 worth of Panasonic WM-61A electret
mic capsules and fake fur to experiment with. Rob
D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D