Re: Any suggestions for thin, ultra-flexible mic cable?

Subject: Re: Any suggestions for thin, ultra-flexible mic cable?
From: "walunit" walunit
Date: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:08 am ((PDT))
Hi all,
I experimented with a number of different cables, made a decision, and buil=
t the mic cable. Here are the results. You can check out the finished assem=
bly here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/photos/album/17879=
22537/pic/list

I was looking for a solution to get from the "Y" up to the microphone with =
the least amount of mechanical coupling. Below are the cables that I worked=
 with. I rated them 1 to 10, 1 being poor (high coupling) to 10 (high isola=
tion). The Mogami 2697 was by far the best for isolation in my tests.

Thanks to Paul Thomas for initial suggestions and brainstorming on the appr=
oach for testing these.  Basically, I tie wrapped pieces of all candidate c=
ables to the base of one of my mics and figured out a way to consistently w=
hack them and observe approximately how much energy coupled by using the VU=
 meter on my SD 722 and listening through headphones.

Thanks for your suggestions and assistance. Anthony's lead yielded the thin=
 Mogami that worked best here. Thanks to Robb Nichols at Aquarian Audio for=
 getting the nice custom Gepco cable to me. Paul Thomas obtained the cool c=
loth covered cable from k-Tek.

I'm looking forward to getting this new cable assembly out into the field!
-Mike

All cables are shielded twisted pair except the "K-Tek" cloth cable which i=
s three twisted wires, a highly flexible shield, and a cloth jacket.

The (1-10) rating is based solely on how well a short length of the cable b=
locks mechanical energy.

Cable                   Rating          Comment
Markertek MIC-BC        1=09
Canare L-2E5            2=09
Cloth covered cable     3               Very cool cloth covered cable. Obtained
by Paul Tho=
mas from K-Tek. We did not find a source for purchasing this cable. This wo=
uld not be good for water resistance.
Custom Gepco            4               High-quality stuff available from
Aquarian Audio
Mogami 2552             5=09
Mogami 2697             8               This stuff is very thin, flexible, and
light.

--- In  "anthonyllarson" <> wrot=
e:

> Check this out:
> http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,122530.0.html
> Some options, buying it in bulk, etc.

> --- In  "walunit" <mike@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > I'm making a microphone cable shock mount / vibration isolation setup f=
or my MKH30/40 setup. I have the Sennheiser handle/blimp.
Rycote connbox system: http://www.rycote.com/products/families/connboxes/
> > Looks like a wonderful solution, but I cannot afford this right now.
> > Do you have any clever ideas on finding a few feet of the nice ultra-fl=
exible, low-mass, shielded twisted pair that is used to connect from the "b=
ox" to the microphone connector?
> > I attempted a search on the archives and found a suggestion for pulling=
 one piece out of a multi-channel snake. I haven't tried that yet and am no=
t sure if I have a balanced snake to cannibalize. If nothing obvious pops u=
p I'll try that with a HOSA, ProCo snake, or something similar.
> > I ordered several pieces of the "thinnest" mic cable available(in bulk)=
 from Markertek, including Canare L-2E5 but all of them are more rigid than=
 I'd like for this application.