Re: Lightweight mic stands, and wind shields

Subject: Re: Lightweight mic stands, and wind shields
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:11 am ((PDT))
Hi Justin,

I mainly use thrift store tripods, and never pay more than $5 to 10 each. O=
f course there is always a reason the tripod was discarded in the first pla=
ce, and usually there is a broken part somewhere, so inspect carefully. Oft=
en only the quick release plate is missing.

I don't think you need to worry about rigidity or vibrational absorption to=
 much with your AT 3032s - as long as the tripod parts are not obviously lo=
ose and rattly. But do consider the weight and size of your mic array. I ha=
ve broken the heads off a few cheap tripods when using a home-made Jecklin =
disk - mostly during transport. Lately I have been experimenting with a lig=
hter and more compact Curt Olson style spaced parallel boundary system.

Consider stability in the wind. The lighter tripods often have a fairly nar=
row stance, and can blow over easily. For this I stake down the legs.

John Hartog

--- In  "justinasia" <> wrot=
e:

> > You can get photo tripods that are both very light and very cheap. You =

> > wouldn't want to put an expensive camera on them, but mics are light. =

> > Consider them to be disposable!
>
> Hi Dan
> Any specific recommendations? What qualities must we look for when choosi=
ng? While I was looking at the expensive carbon fibre tripod, it claimed to=
 be very still and rigid, and absorb vibration etc. Are these things essent=
ial for mic stands? Would the some cheaper camera tripods give trouble in t=
his respect, creating noise? I'm also keen to know about this in terms of w=
hat could be home-made too.

> I'm also wondering if it would be reasonable to just simply strap my pair=
 of AT3032 to the sides of a head-width-sized tree. Is this a reasonable so=
lution, for getting realistic stereo? Or would there be problems of sound t=
ransmission from the top of the tree?

> This bring in another question - how important are the shock mounts? I se=
e that Curt's stereo rigs don't use shock mounts. Can we simply do without =
them?