Re: Lightweight mic stands, and wind shields

Subject: Re: Lightweight mic stands, and wind shields
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:54 am ((PDT))
Hi Justin and the Group

You might be interested in my lightweight, portable and cheap solution for =
a field friendly mic arrangement using AT3032s

The core component is a home made, minimalist head spaced boundary (HSB) ri=

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3560/3437784565_ef2a15594a_m.jpg

This is placed on a Hama Star 200 tripod purchased new for 10 euros at an A=
VMakt in Heppenheim, Germany this last February.  Two wind shield layers ar=
e placed over the HSB, the first is made from fine weave loudspeaker grille=
 fabric and the outer one is faux fur.  To prevent the windshieds being blo=
wn against the mics I have made two wire mesh grilles.  The tripod, HSB and=
 both wind shields are shown here

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3297/3438596558_5ec51bd9df_m.jpg

The total weight (not including cables ie as per photograph) is 1.86 kilios=
 made up of 1.220 tripod, 0.480 HSB inc mics and mesh, and 0.176 windshield=
s.

Erected the ensemble, less both windshields, looks like this

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3537/3437785449_80bba8618d_m.jpg

With the first layer windshields, like this

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3650/3437768977_62d4b6c8db_m.jpg

And with the dead cat on, like this

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3313/3437784195_c178e61293_m.jpg

Note, in this last photograph, the 7lb weight hanging from the tripod's hoo=
k.  A small problem with the Hama Star 200 is the relatively small spread o=
f its feet.  Although the weight of the two AT3032s plus the HSB is small, =
and not a problem most of the time, there is a lot of wind hamper.  Very ha=
ndily the tripod has a built in hook which is convenient for attaching a st=
eadying load.  In the field my backpack or similar will be used.  The 7lb w=
eight was successfully used in a steady 20mph wind (gusts up to 30mph) when=
 testing the windshield's efficacy (in this respect the gusts got through b=
ut some nice wind recordings were made - I will later post a bit of one to =
the files area).

For its 10 euro price the Hama Star 200 is amazing - thoroughly recommended=
.

cheers
TomR